Alex Duncan has worked as a development practitioner, researcher, manager, and consultant economist in many parts of Africa, Asia and Europe, and at strategic level for several development agencies. He has a background in agriculture and rural development, but most of his current work is on the political economy of development, and he has had a particular long-term interest in eastern and southern Africa. He has worked for FAO, the World Bank and Oxford Policy Management. He is a Senior Associate Member of St.Antony’s College, and a Senior Research Associate of the African Studies Centre, Oxford.
Download CV (word format) (pdf format)
Participation in Policy Practice Projects
Policy Practice Papers
Experience outside The Policy Practice
Prepared a paper on the effectiveness of the Board of Save the Children UK, and presented it in October 2006 at a seminar for executives and trustees of UK charities. - 2006
Study of regional impacts of middle-income countries - 2003
- Paper: Paper: ‘Changes in the regional and international roles of large middle-income countries,’ Tim Ruffer and Alex Duncan, OPM 2003.
Zambia: Drivers of pro-poor change (with OPM) - 2003
Conflict Assessments and Drivers of Change and conflict analysis (with OPM) - 2003
- Paper: Conflict Assessments and Drivers of Change studies: what can we all learn?
Drivers of Change: reflections on experience to date (with OPM) - 2003
- Paper: ‘Drivers of Change: reflections on experience to date,’ Discussion Note. Alex Duncan, with contributions from Stephen Jones, Evelyn Dietsche, and participants at a workshop held in Oxford on June 23 2003
Project director, study of future strategy for agriculture and fisheries, States of Jersey, 2000-01 (with OPM) - 2002
DFID’s Policy Paper on Research (with others) - 2002
- Paper: Surr, Martin, Andrew Barnett, and Alex Duncan with Melanie Speight, David Bradley, Alan Rew and John Toye, ‘Research For Poverty Reduction: DFID Research Policy Paper,’ DFID, November 2002
Bangladesh: Supporting Drivers of Pro-Poor Change - 2002
Organisation of the European Forum on Rural Development Cooperation, a conference for 200 representatives of the European Commission, EU Member States, multilateral organisations, NGOs and developing country governments, Montpellier, France, 2002 (with OPM) - 2002
Assessed UK Trust Funds for transitional countries managed by IFC and EBRD (with OPM) - 2001
Provided advice to DFID team preparing strategy for future support to rural livelihoods research (with OPM) - 2001
- Paper: The Contribution of Knowledge and Research to DFID’s Strategy to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals,’ Discussion Brief 1
- Paper: Global change processes driving the rural livelihoods research agenda,’ Discussion Brief 2
Assistance to European Commission in Brussels and selected Delegations in rural and agricultural policy development and implementation for developing countries. Support to EC on the preparation of policy papers on rural development and on food security (with OPM) - 2001
Moderator for DFID organised e-Forum on Food Security and Poverty Reduction, a four week consultation exercise with around 500 participants - May-June 2001 (with OPM) - 2001
Prepared paper on agricultural research and globalisation (with OPM) - 2000
- Paper: ‘Agricultural Research and Globalisation: a discussion paper,’ Alex Duncan and James Gilling, OPM, 2000.
Lead author preparing framework paper for the UK government’s DFID on pro-poor market development (with OPM) - 2000